Monday, September 03, 2007

Day 75: No Summer Cherries

When I was a kid, natural cherries used to be so unpopular you could get a kilo for a dime. Well, not exactly, but in those days they were so disliked in comparison with their processed sisters that they used to be really cheap.

Nowadays, I have spent the last 2 weeks looking for natural cherries and found none, in the middle of the Summer, for Heaven's sake! What is going on, I wonder? (besides global warming, I mean).

Maybe it is just a simple stupid excuse to get depressed, but it really makes me sad when I find that some things have irreversibly changed, like the availability of certain fruits that used to be grown in my country, and now we have to import. And most people will scream in my face that I'm trying to live in the past, but let me tell you one thing: there were certain things that were better when I was a little younger, and an individual with my personality is certainly not prone to give up on good things without at least a complaint.

On the other hand, it may only be a seasonal nostalgia, due to the fact that we are already overwhelmed by the ammount of Christmas products displayed at supermarkets, thus completely ignoring "Fiestas Patrias" (Independence Day, for instance), Halloween and "Día de Muertos" (Dead's Day). Maybe it's just the feeling that time is relative, and summer days are flying instead of dragging, as they used to do during my summer vacations.

Even if it's just a childish tantrum 'cause I can't have something I want, I shed a tear because there are no summer cherries.

No comments: