Friday, August 31, 2007

Day 74: Some things you didn't know about me

1. Two brushes with fame: I had the chance to talk to Stan Lee at the '94 Comicon. When I was leaving the table, he turned to his translator, who happened to be the Vid publishing house official translator, and said "Now, you see, that's English!".

A couple of days ago, I ran into Sergio Sarmiento, a very famous political journalist right outside from my work. I said "Mr. Sarmiento" and nodded... and he nodded back at me!! (but I forgot to ask for his autograph).

2. The only thing I regret in life:
not completing my bachelor's degree. I dropped out in 96, and now I've lost two wonderful job offers due to lacking that stupid paper.

3. Books:
I've read over a thousand books in my life. Some borrowed, or stolen or bought, but I must confess I've found some books that I definitely threw out of the window, like "Niebla" or "Doña Perfecta". Shakespeare in English has always overwhelmed me, although I'm a pretty good reader both in English and Spanish. Last achievement: finishing "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" in 4 days (take into account I was working my hellish schedule).

4. 15 minutes of fame:
when Role-Playing-Games had their boom in Mexico, I won a second-prize for game-mastering at the aforementioned 94 Comicon, I appeared on TV (in the background, but TV anyway) and in two radio programs. I retired at a 30-player game at which all characters were killed... and they still loved me!!

5. Pets:
I love pets. I currently have a wonderful Maine Coon named "Fuzhienran" (the tiger-orchid in Chinese). I've had tropical fish, turtles, mice and dogs. The only ones I hate are birds.

6. Life-Time Record:
8 years of absolute fidelity and faithfulness to my partner.

7. Competition:
I define myself as a natural-born-competitor. Since the cradle I used to steal my brother's milk bottles. That thirst to win at everything has taken me far in life.

8. The lone wolf:
I spent half of my life trying to fit, and the other half, trying to be left alone. I work better by myself, and defend my private time zealously.

9. Collections:
I collect suns, books, lions and superstitions, especially those particular to households or family traditions.

10. Things I am superstitious about:
Although I define myself as a skepchick, I go crazy about money superstitions. I never place my bag on the floor or on the bed, for instance. You scare money away!

Feel free to ask any questions just in case you get curious.

No comments: