Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Day 18: Autumn, only in the calendar.

According to the calendar, we haven’t even reached the winter, but the season is already upon us.

Yesterday, a 5°C temperature and the holiday made almost all people in the city stay home. Sky was dark and cloudy and scarves and gloves finally made it out of the closet, which is kind of unlikely for Mexican people, since our weather conditions used to be more benign during this season.

Since I was complaining about the cold at my workstation, which happens to be the front desk, a co-worker of mine was pulling my leg by reminding me of the low temperatures I would have to endure if I were living in Canada, since I had mentioned the migration topic a couple of days ago. It’s difficult for me to imagine what it would be like to go to work across 60 cm of snow, but I would be glad to give it a try taking into account central heating is known in those latitudes.

On the other hand, my beloved cat is also suffering the effects. This morning, she went into the closet where the electric heater is stored and sat directly in front of it. After a couple of minutes, she started meowing and looking reproachfully at us, as if demanding it to be turned on. Now, that’s a measure of how cold it was.

So, right now, I’m enjoying the pleasure of cold feet, blue fingers and wearing earmuffs, which are practically unknown in my city, thus causing people to turn around to have a second look at those funny things I’ve been wearing. Needless to say I was the envy of the office, since I was the only one sporting a natural ear color.

No comments: